5 Steps You Should Take after a Slip and Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents are among the most common types to cause injury in the U.S., with over a million people visiting the emergency room annually to seek medical care related to a slip and fall injury. The CDC reports that the average cost for such an accident comes out to over $30,000, while other estimates are even higher. This is because slip and fall accidents can result in all manner of serious injury, from hip fractures and other broken bones, to brain injuries.
If you should suffer a slip and fall accident at your place of work, at another business or public space, or at a private residence, you want to do all you can to ensure that your health is the first priority and that you receive compensation for your injuries. Qualified slip and fall attorneys can help to ease your burden, manage your claim, and secure an appropriate settlement, but there are several steps you must follow in your own best interest.
1. Seek medical attention. The first thing you should do following a slip and fall accident is seek medical treatment. Often, this means calling an ambulance for immediate medical assistance and visiting an emergency room for further assessment and more comprehensive care. Slip and fall accidents are serious and delaying care can prolong your pain and suffering and potentially result in even greater harm and higher medical bills.
2. Report the accident. This may happen before you seek medical care, especially if you’re in a business or other public space at the time of the accident. If your situation is serious, your first priority is to seek medical attention, but you need to report the accident as soon as possible after it happens. Some businesses may ask you to file an incident report, but before you do so, it’s best to look into qualified and experienced slip and fall lawyers.
3. Consult a slip and fall accident lawyer. A knowledgeable slip and fall attorney can walk you through every step of the process following an accident, and it is important to consult with a lawyer before you speak to anyone. The individual, business, or government entity that owns the property where the incident occurred will naturally have questions, but it is important to limit your statements. Some may press you to admit fault. Slip and fall attorneys will help you to sift through the facts, collect evidence, and present it appropriately to owners, insurance companies, and if necessary, the court.
4. Collect evidence. One of the first things your slip and fall accident lawyer will ask you to do is document the incident to the best of your recollection as soon as possible, while it is still fresh in your mind, as well as take photos of injuries. If possible, you or a bystander should get photos of the exact area where the incident occurred. You’ll want to set aside the clothes you were wearing at the time and write down names and contact information for witnesses so your attorney can gather witness statements.
5. Focus on recovery during a slip and fall lawsuit. Good slip and fall lawyers will try to get you the maximum settlement without ever going to court, but if you should find yourself in a slip and fall lawsuit, try not to stress. Focus on your recovery and let your dedicated attorney handle the legal aspects of fighting the owner or insurance company to secure a settlement.